Sunday, February 21, 2010

Tree Curiosity

One day on our ride home from downtown in the early 1970's, my father pointed out a slender pine tree growing through the roof of this residential garage. Daddy loved to tease, and I thought that he was pulling my leg. Yes, the pine appeared to be poking out through the shingles, but was it? Or had he found an illusion created by my viewing angle from the street?  Look below from a different perspective to see that the tree is growing up and out from inside the garage.


Since that day I've driven past that busy corner thousands of times, and, almost always, I have turned to look at the tree. Was it still there, or had it fallen and crushed the garage?  As of today, the tree stands.


I've asked neighbors, but have never received a clear explanation and have never been nervy enough to ring the door bell to ask, "Why is that pine tree growing through your garage?" but I really do want to know.


You can use Google Street View to "see" the garage from the road. Navigate to the 17th St. driveway on the northwest corner of 17th Street and Hilton Avenue (red "A" on the map), and then follow the drive. Use the zoom tool for a closer "look."



View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment